Sunday, July 08, 2012

Rhubarb and Orange Jam

There is a recipe in Mrs Beetons for Rhubarb and Orange Jam, and as our friends and neighbours had unused rhubarb in their gardens I thought it would be a perfect use for it. I got the oranges and lemon from the supermarket.
There was quite a lot of it in the pot! In the recipe Mrs Beeton has added a note to say that it resembles Scotch Marmalade.
And she is right. The rhubarb has melted away, and the orange is really strong, but there is something underpinning the flavour, giving it some welly. 


I really like it, though it wasn't what I was expecting.


I have some rhubarb left and will poach that with sugar and put it in the freezer. I can take it out later to make crumble or pie. It's a really good way of preserving the rhubarb for use later.

No comments: