Saturday, August 16, 2008

Autumnal Accessories

It's been chillier and raining a lot this last week. Summer is definitely turning to autumn and I've been considering what colour to knit my new winter accessories this year (hat, scarf, mittens). For some reason I can't get white and green out of my head and today I went into John Lewis to look for wool. The Rowan Cocoon is absolutely the more gorgeous wool I've ever felt. So I'm thinking of doing a hat in mostly white with green accents using Rowan Big Wool, a scarf the same design as my current purple and blue scarf, using Rowan Cocoon, and mittens using 4-ply white with possibly green Kidsilk Haze. My winter coats are pea-green and rust, so I hope the green and white will sit well with the rust coat!

I met my friend Vicky for lunch today in Pulse, a vege cafe. And afterwards I went to the bookshop again and looked at these two books, again.My friend Bev recommended A Thousand Splendid Suns to me, and I noticed The Suspicions of Mr Whicher while I was in the bookshop because I liked the cover. It's a well-researched account of a murder that took place in the 19th Century and the detective who was in charge of the case.

Both books are £12 each and even in the 3 for 2 deal it's rather a lot of money, so I'm planning to see if I can get them both cheaper online. I'd like to read The Suspicions of Mr Whicher first. As I was bookless last night I began to read In Cold Blood. I'll see how far I get. A third of my book reading is done in bed and I don't expect it will be a great bedtime book so I may have to substitute an Enid Blyton at bedtime, especially when Hagos is away.

No comments: