Saturday, April 19, 2008

Verbena Cobalt

This is the other part of my birthday present from my sister and brother-in-law. I love the boldness and scale of the colour and design. Although it's called Verbena Cobalt (Kaffe Fassett) the flowers remind me of a flower bush my Granny had in her back garden when we were kids. I can never remember the name of this bush but I'm sure these flowers are meant to represent it.

Alongside the material are my new pinking shears. My work colleagues had bought me dressmaking scissors as part of my present but I already have a good pair I got in John Lewis a couple of months ago, so I exchanged them for pinking shears, which was next on my list to buy. I've been having trouble zig-zagging the lining of the skirts I make and the pattern says the alternative is to cut it with pinking shears instead. So I'll give that a go. It's already been helpful when I pre-washed my last lot of material before cutting and sewing it, the edges were much less frayed when it came out of the washing machine.

Now I'm just waiting for my Kaffe Fassett Green Daisy material to turn up, which I'm hoping will be there for me when I go to work on Tuesday. I think it was being delivered to Katy.

Today I watched Charade with Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant. Audrey Hepburn's clothes were made by Givenchy, and they were exquisite. I love the collarless coats, and there were a couple of dresses I'd love to copy. And her hair. I'll have to get my hairdresser to show me how to do something like that.

No comments: