Sunday, August 26, 2012

Casablanca!

My green Ribbon Twist jumper became such a staple of my winter wardrobe, that I was quite keen to knit another one (as the green one is now much-washed and much-worn and has felted a bit). Unfortunately the yarn is discontinued (or maybe fortunately as it was between £7-8 a ball). But I discovered that Cucumberpatch were offering the yarn at a discounted price, the only drawback being that they only had white with pink and blue ribbon, or beige. The white part is fine, but the pink and blue ribbon isn't so great. Anyway, it was only £2 a ball, so I get a new winter jumper for £16 including postage! Hagos suggested I dye the wool, and I plan to look for a deep blue dye. 

It knits up so quickly, I did this in one evening, almost the entire back! Quite fun after knitting so much 4 ply.
Though I do love knitting 4 ply. It's so comforting. This is my first finished yellow and yellow stripy sock.
And today I pulled up my First Earlies - Casablanca! I only bought Casablancas because of the name. Hagos and I love the film. I got a good crop, and most of them are now stored with the rest of my main crops.

Storing potatoes is a new thing for me. I usually just leave them in their tubs until I need them for each meal, but we have more this year as we grew them in raised beds. Plus, my main crop got blight, so I wanted to make sure they weren't left rotting in the ground. I laid them out to dry in the sun for a couple of hours, then brushed them all down before putting into hessian sacks. I so hope they keep as it would make a difference to my growing and planning for the future.

No comments: