Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Bedtime Reading


I was trying to read Miss Smilla's Feeling For Snow by Peter Hoeg but I mostly read in bed these days and the book was so dry and disconnected I got to page 50 and stopped. There was no great writing, characterisation, metaphors or insights.

I'm now reading The Moonstone, which gripped me straight away. I was in the mood for old-fashioned storytelling.

My all-time favourite bedtime book is The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. The bite-size chapters are perfect and the story is superb. My memory told me the story is set in Edinburgh but it's actually set in London. Wishful thinking. Perhaps I was influenced by the documentary I watched on Deacon Brodie, said to be the inspiration for the book. Deacon Brodie was a cabinet maker who led a respectable-sliding-into-dissolute life, making wax impressions of his customers' keys then stealing from them.

No comments: