Sunday, May 03, 2009

Mocha; and a Female Poet Laureate

This morning I perfected my own Mocha! Two dessert spoonfuls of chocolate, and half a portion of fresh (caffeinated) coffee. It is extremely good.
Last night Hagos and I watched a Woody Allen film, Bullets Over Broadway. It was so funny. The first Woody Allen film I ever saw was The Curse of the Jade Scorpion, which I think remains my favourite, but I like a lot of his films, especially when he's in them himself. Though there have been some terrible flops - Zelig, for example! His actors all take on his phrasing too, which makes it funny. I've just found out he has another film due out in June this year, so I'll look forward to that.
And I was very pleased to learn we have a new female poet laureate, Carol Ann Duffy. After 341 years of males. The world is finally catching up with itself: gay marriage, a black American president, and a female poet laureate. All on their own merit, of course. I don't agree with positive discrimination. And the arguments against gay marriage always infuriated me - to treat a section of the community like children and tell them they can't have the same legal and love rights as heterosexual people is shameful, and I'm glad that in most of the Western world it's finally been put right.

Er, rant over.

1 comment:

Livvey K said...

I recognise that wrapping on your chocolate! Had a trip to Coco of Bruntsfield recently? :o) Have you seen Small Time Crooks? Woody Allen is just fantastic in that. Ooh and in The Manhattan Murder Mystery too alongside Diane Keaton, Alan Alda and Angelica Huston.