Sunday, March 11, 2012

Pear Tart

Pretty much the only time I bake these days is every second Sunday, when we go to The Burnses for Sunday dinner. It's become a tradition: we cook roast chicken one week, they bring dessert. They cook roast chicken the next week, we bring dessert. 


The last couple of weeks have been heavy on the chocolate! One of which (my chocolate meringue stack) was quickly followed by me being very ill with gastric flu. So, since then I've been off chocolate, which is extremely unusual for me.
So this week I wanted to make something really pared down. Plain. Simple. With fruit! I found this Pear Tart recipe on the internet. The base is almost shortbread-like, the pears are delicious and it has a butter and sugar topping that caramelises the top. 

Often, when I go into M&S or when I come across a French market I head straight for the pear tarts in the fresh bakery section. This pear tart was really delicious, and definitely on a par with any of the best pear tarts I've bought. 

Of course, the kids didn't want any of it and they had Ben and Jerry's chocolate fudge ice cream. But everyone else seemed to like it.

No comments: