Sunday, April 21, 2013

My Birthday and, what else - the hens!

For my birthday I asked Hagos to get me drawing materials. I used to love drawing when I was at school, particularly drawing people. We went to Greyfriars Art shop in Dundas Street, Edinburgh. The woman was so helpful and I came away with some pastels, above.
And some pencils. I won't show you my efforts so far. I need to set up my 'art' space so that it's all much more accessible. This includes my piano, which I haven't played since my Christmas holidays.
These are my birthday books. I had to give away so many of my books when I moved to Scotland, I'm glad to be building them back up again. Kate Atkinson, Life After Life, is so readable, though the characters are recognisable from Case Histories and Behind the Scenes at the Museum. She's very good at that close, dysfunctional, funny family dynamics. Hoping for some slivers of writing wisdom from A L Kennedy. And some great new chocolate recipes from Green and Black's recipe book.
After my sad hen news in the last post, I thought I'd get in amongst the girls today and post some happy photos. This is little Rosie. She's the smallest hen, always on the periphery, especially when any food is being given out. I always scoop a little bit out and try to feed her off to the side, though even then she isn't always brave enough to come and take it. I particularly like seeing her running towards me because she has such short legs and such a pointy tail she looks really funny.
This is Malcolm. I'm a wee bit concerned about Malcolm as she seems to be spending a bit of time by herself these days. She's probably fine. I like them all to be together: safety in numbers, they won't be lonely (projecting human traits on them). I love Malcolm too as she's also a wee sweetheart. She used to be at the bottom of the pecking order but I've seen her stand up for herself a few times and hold her own. 
Godfrey, Vivian and Yoko. 
Chikarita, with her feathery feet. Her feathers have a lovely green sheen to them. 
Apple crumble for one. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Now I just feel very, very full.

In knitting news: I made my manager's manager a hat. We bumped into each other in the queue at Cafe Nero on the way into work one morning and she asked if I'd knit one for her. I was a bit surprised as I thought I was the only person in the world who liked my hat (I love this hat and knit the same pattern every time I need a new hat). It's knitted in Rowan Big Wool, which is so soft and chunky, and it's so warm because it covers my whole head and has ear flaps. It's probably the only thing I'd agree to knit for anyone too as it is such a quick, fun knit. So I've finished that and will post a photo next time. I've also almost finished two pairs of baby socks for Bramble. I just have the toe to knit on the second sock. It shouldn't have taken me so long, but I have been so busy with work, and home life. Photos of all in the next post! 

No comments: