Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Weekend

I finished the jumper and am fairly pleased with it. I put football buttons on as his dad, uncle and grandmother and great grandfather are football fans.
I also found this Mr Happy T-shirt for Keigan in Hennes. It made me think of him straight away as he's such a happy boy. There was also a Mr Bump T-shirt that came a very close second as he now, apparently, runs everywhere (and bumps into things!).
I had a sudden urge, when I came home from town yesterday, to make bread in our bread machine. We were given it as part of our wedding gift five years ago, and initially used it every other day, but suddenly stopped a couple of years ago and the machine has been in the cupboard ever since. Hagos used to make amazing bread with treacle and all kinds of added ingredients.
I was excited more by the shape of my bread than by its taste. I did the quick loaf recipe and it tasted a bit like cake-bread. It was okay. The house smelt divine while it was baking.
My ever-present, faithful friend, perched on the edge of the table, straining to be as near to me as possible wherever I am in the house. She's been quite well-behaved this weekend actually.
I had a fairly good weekend. Hagos was away with the car so I got the bus into town on Saturday and met my archaeologist friend, Vicky, for lunch, did a bit of shopping and looking around then came home.

I finished Paradise today. I really enjoyed huge chunks of this book. I was particularly hooked for the last third and I was moved to tears by the letter Hannah's brother had left for her in the fridge after he'd been in to tidy up her flat and replenish the food when she returned home after a bout of drunkenness/illness. He had copied her key without her knowing because he expected he would need the key to let himself into her flat when she finally killed herself through drink. It was very understated in the way it portrayed the effect one family member's lifestyle has on the rest of the family. It made me think of the responsibility we all have to our family members in subtle ways and how people strike a balance between individuality and group responsibility. I remember talking to a probation officer friend of mine years ago, and she said the difference between non-criminals and criminals was that criminals had nothing much to lose, that's how they could commit crimes. Most people feel a social responsibility and have an investment in their relationships.

However, I was really quite puzzled and disappointed by the very ending of the book. I think the sudden lurch into surreality was to portray the descent of her mind but it became very surreal very quickly and in the end I wasn't quite sure what was happening. I know she was probably an unreliable narrator anyway, but... Maybe I need to re-read it to understand.

What can I read now?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The knittet jumper is so cute! I like the football buttons to.