Friday, August 10, 2007

Beach, Cake, Top, Vest

On Sunday we went to Cromer beach for the day with our friends. This is Hagos enjoying the shade towards the end of the day, while our friends went in search of water. We packed a picnic of organic sandwiches and fruit and I baked banana and walnut cake, which was delicious. This is all that was left of it when we got home. I was given Mrs Beeton's book for my birthday years ago by my friends Janie and Ba. I've used it a lot, mainly for baking but also when I need to remember to use a tablespoonful of milk when making scrambled eggs, and a tablespoonful of water when making omelette. I particularly like the section on general household management where it says to be careful when carrying a tray upstairs when wearing a dressing gown. Such sensible advice. I bought a pattern for a top online, the same one SouleMama made. It's the first time I've followed a pattern since I was at school when it took the WHOLE TERM to make one skirt (why was that?). I was so taken with hers that I wanted to make one for myself. I bought the material ages ago in John Lewis and today I traced my size and cut it out.
I decided to trace the pattern from the original in case I wanted to make another one for my sister or friend. The material was fairly cheap and cheerful and it looks stunning cut out. I'll attempt to sew it together at the weekend. I might have to rely on common sense as I don't completely understand the instructions.

I've also almost finished a blue vest for my nephew's baby, Keigan. I've finished knitting it, just have to sew it together. I've made matching bootees to go with it. Just one more to knit and sew up and it'll be ready to give.

No comments: