Saturday, October 09, 2010

Saturday

I decided I would clean the kitchen today, so I got up, had breakfast, and made myself a half-caf cappuccino with the percolator.
 Then I went for a bike ride and did my shopping: books back to library, veg and fruit from the greengrocer's.
 Meg was relaxing in the front room.
 I got out my collection of jars and decided to make...
...Plum and Apple Jam!

This year I stoned the plums first, because trying to scoop them out of the pan while it was at a rolling boil was far too scalding and messy.
And this is what I ended up with: two jars for my friend's birthday (she really liked the jar I gave her last year), one little jar for me, and a big jar possibly to give away to someone else.

And this evening, some mitten-knitting and watching Strictly Come Dancing.

The kitchen cleaning might get done tomorrow.

1 comment:

Angifreak said...

That picture of Meg is priceless. I love it!

You really must stop posting photos of baked goods... I see them and then turn to baking for myself. I have few people to share with, unfortunately, so it's all in my belly before I know what I've done!

That jam is gorgeous -- the color is so pretty. I will post a picture of my "pepper jelly" at some point. Do you do that in the UK? It's always reminded me of my childhood and holiday parties with my parents -- there was always a cheese log or two, cured meats (hard sausages), deviled eggs and pepper jelly with cream cheese (on crackers). Total 1970's hors d'oeuvres. Julia Child was on TV all the time and this was how people "classed-up" their parties (and I was just 4 with a paper cup and all the alcohol samples I could swindle!)